The ACET team helps to make your experience enjoyable and fruitful. We are committed to making your stay in Cork as pleasant as possible, both in and outside the classroom.
Before you leave home
- Check visa requirements and immigration guidelines for non-EU and non-EEA citizens www.inis.gov.ie
- Consider bringing a laptop or tablet (free WIFI throughout ACET)
- Suitable clothing for Ireland ( an umbrella!) and sports equipment if you wish to do some sports
- Driving licence in case you wish to hire a car
- Take an adaptor for non-Irish plugs
- Do not forget our 24/7 telephone number - we are here to help you
- Make sure you have the address and telephone number of your accommodation as well as the details of arrival procedure
Welcome to ACET - Your First Day
Welcome to ACET - Receive your information pack and student card
- Class Placement Test
- Needs Analysis form
- Self Assessment form
These forms and the result of your placement test provide your teachers with an overview of your English ability and interests
- ACET Life
- ACET services and facilities
- Amenities in Cork City
- Class schedule & academic counselling
- Introduction to the ACET Team and the Migieu-Coade family
Join your class
ACET Services during your stay
Full Monitoring and Evaluation Process
- Weekly test and weekly tutorial with your teacher
- Can do statements
- Set goals and objectives
- Monitor progress
- Identify areas for development
- Advice on changing level if necessary
- Support in areas of development
- Face to face
- Online support
- Supplementary homework assignments
To ensure we exceed your expectations, you are given the opportunity to give your feedback on a regular basis. Our doors are always open if you need to talk to us.
Detailed progress report every 4 weeks
On completion of your course you receive a certificate. The certificate indicates the length of course and the level you have achieved.
ACET Quality Service - External Recognitions
IRISH DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AND SKILLS
We are recognised by ACELS, a service of Quality and Qualifications Ireland, for English language teaching (ELT).
We have been an Accredited Member of EAQUALS since 2003 and we are the first Cork member of the organisation. Accredited membership is awarded after the school demonstrates that all requirements of the EAQUALS Charter are respected. We received the following comments after our most recent inspection in 2012:
“ACET was inspected by EAQUALS in October 2012 and met the high standards required for EAQUALS accreditation. The teaching, the course programmes, as well as the course organisation, the learning resources, testing and evaluation were all judged to be of high quality. It was found that the institution takes great care to protect the welfare of its clients and staff, and all publicity materials produced by the institution are accurate and truthful.
The EAQUALS inspectors identified the following areas of excellence in the institution:
- Academic Management – Curriculum and Syllabus
- Academic Management – Quality Assurance
- Management and administration
- Other services to course participants
We are the only Cork member of IALC and we are inspected every four years to guarantee that the IALC standards, code of ethics, and philosophy of continued improvement are upheld. Our CEO, Odile Migieu, was President of IALC from 2002 until 2005.
Marketing English in Ireland is an association of recognised English language schools in Ireland. All members are accredited by the Irish Department of Education & Skills. MEI organises several workshops and familiarisation trips in Ireland each year.
We are an authorised open testing centre for the Cambridge suite of examinations, including Cambridge English: Key (KET), Cambridge English: Preliminary (PET), Cambridge English: First (FCE), Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE), Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE), and the Business Language Testing Service (BULATS). We run three long-term KET, PET, FCE, CAE, & CPE examination preparation courses, two fast track FCE & CAE examination preparation courses, and one fast track KET & PET examination preparation course each year. Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT), Knowledge about Language (KAL) and Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) are offered on demand.
Educational testing service
We are the only TOEIC testing centre in Ireland authorised to hold both the Listening & Reading, and Speaking & Writing examinations.
We hold Bildungsurlaub recognitions for all eight federal states.
CSN - Centrala studiestodsnamnden
Courses at ACET are approved for CSN funding in Sweden.